Nothing says summer like a delicious fruit-filled tart. As the days continue to get warmer, put your seasonal produce to good use by trying out this recipe for a cherry homemade tarts. With a golden puffed crust and sweet, juicy cherries, I can tell you right now that your friends and family will love it. If you don’t have a cherry pitter, a paring knife works well.
Ingredient list for the cherry tart recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) of fresh bing cherries, pitted
- 1 cup (120g) of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (2g) agar agar
Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. Wash the cherries and remove the stems and pits.
2. Put them in a bowl with 3/4 cup (100g) sugar, mix and allow to marinate for 4 hours.
3. Pour the cherries and juice into a large saucepan. Cover and boil for 5 minutes.
4. Drain the cherries in a fine mesh strainer to filter the juice.
5. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C). Roll out the sheet of puff pastry into a round or rectangular tart pan.
6. Align cherries over the pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove tart from oven and allow to cool down.
8. Measure 1 cup (25 cl) cherry juice and pour into a saucepan with the agar agar powder. Bring the mixture slowly to a boil for 2 minutes, whisking frequently. Pour the liquid over the tart and let set. You can top the tart with crushed pistachio.
9. Refrigerate the cherry tart for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving.
(Photo by E.Grosjean. This recipe was originally posted on may 30, 2013)