Garlic Soup — Aïgo boulido
Water and garlic, are the basic ingredients of this garlic soup, which is like an infusion of herbs. It illustrates one of the oldest culinary traditions of Provence. This soup is traditionally prepared on December 25 evening during the celebrations, for its digestive properties. In old provencal dialect, “Aigo boulido Sauvo le vido” means “Aigo boulido saves lives”!
Preparation : 10 min
Baking: 15 min
Level of difficulty: Easy
Ingredients list for the Garlic Soup
- 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) of water
- 4 tablespoons (30 g) grated cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- thyme, bay
- salt, pepper
- country bread
1. Crush the garlic cloves in a mortar after being peeled.
2. Then dip in boiling water.
3. Add the spices with a drizzle of olive oil.
5. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the herbs.
7. Add one egg yolk and stir well.
8. Pour the hot soup over toasted bread slices in a bowl or shallow plate.
9. Sprinkle with grated cheese.