The Lobster thermidor is a classic of French cuisine, while also being not too difficult. In order to make the lobster thermidor recipe taste great, buy fresh lobster, butter, cream, top quality raw milk and a little bolted flour. The ingredient list looks quite long for preparing a lobster, but you will notice the difference!
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Ingredients list for Classic Lobster Thermidor Recipe
- 3 lobsters, 2 lbs each
- 70 cl dry white wine
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- 1 / 4 c. to c. thyme
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- 225 g mushrooms
- 1 lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 1 big spoon of cream
- 25 cl sour cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 cl cognac
- 100 g grated cheese
- 1 pinch salt
Preparation: Classic Lobster Thermidor recipe
1. Simmer the white wine in a pot with vegetables, seasoning and water for 15 minutes.
2. Bring to the boil and put in the live lobsters. Cover and boil for 20 minutes. Then remove the lobsters.
3. Cook the mushrooms gently with a tablespoon of butter, lemon juice and salt in a small saucepan, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Add the juice of mushrooms to the first pot and boil until the sauce is reduced to 2 bowls. Then simmer.
5. In another small saucepan, gently cook the flour and butter for 25 minutes. Add sauce. Stir well. Boil for 1 minute while stirring. Then add the cream.
6. Cut the lobsters in half lengthwise. Remove the black around the eyes and intestines. Remove the coral and liver, and crush in a large bowl. Add and mix the mustard, 10 cl of fresh cream, egg yolks. Add sauce and stir.
7. Heat the sauce, and bring to boiling while stirring. Then boil gently for 2 minutes. Add the cream with a tablespoon. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add a dollop of cream on top. Set aside.
8. Get the lobster meat and cut into cubes. In a skillet, melt butter over a medium heat. After a minute, add the lobster meat and stir gently. Pour the Cognac and boil until the liquid has reduced by half. Stir from time to time. Watch out for flame lift.
9. Add mushrooms and 2 / 3 of the sauce.
10. In a baking dish, arrange the lobster meat, mushrooms and sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Put the dish in the oven at 220°C for 15 minutes.
Wine suggestion: Riesling, Chablis, Sancerre, dry white wine, Champagne.
So what do you think of this lobster thermador recipe? Also read: Almonds Trout Recipe