Duck Orange is a popular recipe in the world with many variations. This version is traditionally used in France. You can use Grand Marnier instead of orange liqueur.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ingredients list for Duck “A l’Orange” Recipe
- 3 kg duck
- 4 oranges
- 50 cl duck broth
- 3 tbsp orange liqueur
- 2 tbsp of Porto
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 30 g butter
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Cut the rind of 4 oranges. Boil gently in water for 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Add a pinch of salt and pepper inside the duck with a third of the orange peels.
4. Roast in oven for 15 minutes reduced to 175°C. Turn the duck and roast for another 30 minutes. Turn the duck again. Roast for 20 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and turn one last time. Roast for 15 minutes.
5. Boil vinegar and sugar for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add half the duck broth. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute, stirring. Add remaining broth, Porto and orange peels. Cook over a low heat for 4 minutes. Pour the orange liqueur.
6. Remove the fat from the duck dish.
7. Put the butter into the sauce just before serving. Pour sauce over duck. Garnish with orange segments.
Wine suggestions: Riesling, Pomerol and Saint Emilion, Madiran or Chateauneuf du Pape.