I love apples and honestly never get tired of them since there are so many varieties to choose from, especially in Fall. So if you’re like me and love a classic or simply looking to impress guests then bake this French Apple Cake for a delicious week end treat. The recipe is simple and you can make it with ingredients easily on hand. The cake comes together quickly: soft, not too sweet, with a divine taste of apple. Just make sure you don’t over bake it. Cinnamon adds a nice warmth at the end of each bite and really completes the cake.
Ingredients list for the French apple cake
For a 7″ square pan:
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup (90ml) of milk
- 1/4 cup (50ml) heavy cream
- 3 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 4 small apples (pink lady, honey crisp, granny smith or golden delicious)
Whole Roasted Cauliflower With Butter Sauce
For the crisp:
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (1 packet) of vanilla sugar
- 1 1/2 oz (40g) butter
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°F).
2. Peel the apples and cut them into pieces.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs with sugar. Add the flour and combine with baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
4. Add oil, and finally add cream and milk.
5. Pour half the dough in a mold lined with parchment paper and cover with half the apples.
6. Pour the remaining batter and spread the remaining apples on top. Press lightly on the apples with hands.
7. Bake for 30 minutes.
Prepare the crumble:
1. Melt the butter and add the sugar and vanilla sugar. Spread over the cake after 30 minutes of baking and bake for 15 minutes more.
2. Check doneness of the cake with the tip of a knife, it should come out dry.
3. Allow to cool before un-molding.