These easy star cookies are great for baking at home with kids. The dough is quick and easy to put together; and the icing decoration is so fun to make!
Prep time: 10 mins
Resting time: 1 hour
Baking time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 h 25
Ingredients list for the star cookies
The shortbread cookies:
- 1 stick (120g) butter
- A pinch (2g) salt
- 3/4 cup (90g) icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons (15 g) almond powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups (60g + 180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30l) water, at room temperature
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Mix butter and sugar in a bowl and add salt, ground almonds, egg, and 1/2 cup (60g) flour.
3. Once the mixture is homogeneous add 1 1/2 cups (180g) flour and mix quickly, without overworking the dough. form a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Spread the dough on a floured surface and cut out as many cookies as will fit with a star cookie cutter.
5. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Bake for about 15 minutes in the oven.
1. whisk the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of water in a medium bowl. The mixture should be quite thick. If it is much too thick, add a few drops of water. You know it’s the right consistency when a ribbon of icing will hold for a few seconds when you whisk before melting back into the icing. Cover the icing tightly and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days if you’re not decorating right away.
2. Transfer the icing into a shallow plate. Dip the cookies upside down into the icing, holding them by the sides. You may enjoy right away or you can wait 24 hours for the icing to set and harden.