Want a crunchy, savory treat that’s quick and easy to whip together? These homemade flatbread crackers topped with herbed cream cheese and savory bits of prosciutto make a delicious and unexpected appetizer to switch things up! Pair with the sweet note of red bell peppers and you get a winner for your next get-together.
Ingredients list for the crisp flatbread crackers
- 3 1/2 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Philadephia or any cream cheese of your choice
1. Preheat your oven to 430°F (220°C).
2. In a large bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper. Add water and mix, then pour in olive oil and knead to form a soft ball.
3. Divide the ball in 2, keep the second ball wrapped in plastic while you bake the first one. Spread the ball thinly on a baked sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt. You can spices and dried herbs if you like.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 430°F (220°C), until golden.
5. Remove the flatbread from the oven and immediately transfer onto a cutting board. Trim the edges of the flatbread to make them straight, then cut strips or squaresthe size of your liking. Set aside and allow to cool. Repeat with remaining ball of dough. You can store the crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
1. Rinse and chop chives and mix with cream cheese. Slice red pepper thinly. Cut prosciutto into squares.
2. Spread cream cheese on the crackers. Arrange prosciutto and red pepper on top.
(Photography: N. Palmer)