Tagine is a good illustration of easy and friendly cooking… I opted for a fish tagine (cod and monkfish) decorated with candied lemons and purple olives. You can accompany it with steamed potatoes.Lemons, olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and chili spices create the marinade where you’ll let fish sit for ten hours… Saffron and ginger complement the flavor palette of this casserole from Morocco.
Ingredients list for Fish Tagine recipe
Serves 6 :
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) white fish fillets (monkfish, cod …)
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into pieces
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) purple olives
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for chermoula
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
The day before, prepare the chermoula:
1. Wash the parsley and cilantro and remove the large stems.
2. Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Mix everything with salt, paprika, cumin and pepper, then add gradually the oil, lemon juice and a little water.
3. Rinse and dry the fish pieces. Put them in a bowl with the chermoula. Then return several times, cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day…
1. Preheat oven to 390°f (200°c). Grease a tagine dish with olive oil and put the fish in with olives and lemon confit.
2. Stir in ginger and saffron diluted with a little water in the marinade, then pour over the fish.
3. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes in the oven.