What would be the top essential cooking ingredients anyone serious about cooking should have in the kitchen?
If you’re like me, there’s always something missing in your cupboard or fridge so you often fall short when trying to make a recipe… But with perseverance, we are able to maintain a proper supply of staple foods and basic ingredients to cook almost anything from scratch.
So here I want to share the 10 essential cooking ingredients we always need to have in our kitchen.
The 10 essential cooking ingredients to keep either in your pantry or in the fridge
- Salt and pepper: it’s almost impossible to cook without them. Some will tell you that it is through them that you can recognize great leaders: just with salt and pepper they are able to bring out the flavors of a dish. Always have a bucket of salt and pepper. If possible, get some coarse salt and a pepper mill that you can fill with peppercorns; it gives a better and fuller flavor.
- Oil and vinegar: a bottle of each, left out of the refrigerator and selected according to your taste. For example, my choice would be olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Sugar: preferably stored in an airtight jar.
- Mustard: a simple Dijon style mustard in a jar kept in the refrigerator.
- Eggs: organic eggs if possible. Contrary to popular belief, there is no need to keep them in the fridge.
- Butter: real butter, not reduced fat, organic if possible, stored in the refrigerator.
- Flour: white flour, stored in an airtight container.
- Cream: organic if possible, single or double depending on your preference, stored in the refrigerator.
- Onions and/or shallots: these can be stored in the crisper of the refrigerator or at room temperature.
- Milk: organic milk if possible, whole or skimmed according to your taste, stored in the refrigerator.
Of course, this can be changed to suit your habits and preferences, but at least with this list you have the main ingredients on which to build.
You will notice that I often stress the quality of ingredients, as this is important not only for the dishes you prepare, but also for you and your heath.
In general, whenever possible, try to find the best ingredients you can, fresh, healthy, and unfortunately often more expensive than others, but is there a price for a good health?
What do you think about this essential cooking ingredients list for cooking at home?
What staple food would you add to this list?