In the family of legumes, chickpea is certainly one of those we use most often. Chickpeas are quite interesting because they allow us to consume protein and fiber without adding fat!
For this chickpeas salad, I used dried chickpeas. Soaking is required 24 hours prior, but you can make this in no time by using canned chickpeas that are already cooked (it is sufficient to rinse before use).
Ingredients list for chickpeas salad recipe
For 6 people:
- 2/3 lb (300g) chickpeas
- 1 bouquet garni (here’s how to make a bouquet garni)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove
- 1 star anise
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 cl of olive oil
- Fresh coriander
- 1 lemon
1. The night before, soak the chickpeas in water for 24 hours. Skip this step is you are using canned chickpeas.
2. The next day, drain and place chickpeas, the bouquet garni, onion clove, peeled garlic clove and star anise.
3. Cook at a simmer for 1:30 until they are tender. Drain.
4. Sauté garlic and diced tomatoes in olive oil, add the chickpeas and spices. Leave to simmer for about ten minutes until peas are imbued with the sauce.
5. Serve your chickpeas salad hot or warm, garnished with fresh coriander and lemon slices with bread.