Express your affection on Valentine’s Day by creating these adorable DIY chalkboard votives. Sweet, fast, cheap and easy to do, this handmade gift radiates with warmth and will be loved on February 14 and beyond!
Many items are readily available at your local craft, hardware, grocery stores, or online:
- 3 tea light holders (or baby food jars)
- Masking tape
- Craft knife
- Black Chalkboard Paint
- White acrylic paint + a pin
- 3 candles
1. Place a strip of the painter’s tape on the tea light holders and draw a heart (you can help with a cookie cutter, make small dots as guides). Cut around the heart and remove the excess tape, leaving the heart taped to the glass.
2. Paint the tea light holders evenly with chalkboard paint. Let the paint dry, then apply another coat of paint. Once dry, take the sharp point of your knife and carefully remove the masking tape heart. If paint sticks too much to the tape, just make precise cuts with the tip of the blade.
3. Once completely dry, use a pinhead to make little dotted lines around the hearts with white paint. Now you can place candles in the jars!