Here’s a perfect homemade goodie for anyone on your Valentine’s Day treat list! So cute on top of a cupcake or to serve with coffee, these easy sugar cube hearts will also work for any holiday or special occasion.
Supplies you need
- 2 cups sugar (or more, depending on the number of colors you want), divided
- Food coloring (red, pink, purple…)
- A large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat
- Heart shaped aspic cutter or small cookie cutter
1. Place 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add a small amount of food coloring, and mix with a spatula. This mix will be the darkest color. Add more if needed until you get the desired color. Add 1/2 teaspoon water and mix until the mixture resembles wet sand. Be careful not to add too much liquid or you will dissolve the sugar.
2. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread colored sugar with hand or spatula and pat down. Try to level about 1/4-inch thick. Press the heart cutter into the mixture and lift up, or slide to the other corner of the baking sheet. Repeat as many as desired, depending on the size of the hearts. If hearts will not hold their shape, add more water in small increments and mix thoroughly. Pour remaining colored sugar back into bowl and proceed to step 3.
3. Add 1/2 cup sugar to previous colored sugar from step 2 to lighten. Mix well and add 1/2 teaspoon water. If it’s still too dark, continue adding sugar plus water until desired color is achieved. Repeat step 2. Continue with Steps 2 and 3 until you get your desired shades and number of sugar hearts. 3 to 5 shades offer great results, but you can do more if you feel like to!
4. Pre-heat oven to 120°F (50°C). Heat sugar hearts in oven for 25 minutes. Your lovely sugar hearts will be the consistency of regular sugar cubes.