What would be more homey and comforting than a warm bowl of soup on chilly autumn or winter nights? Root vegetables, like carrots and parsnips, lend their complementary, slightly sweet flavors to this easy soup recipe. Cumin really brings out the flavor of the sweet carrots and peppery parsnips while parsley gives a fresh pop of flavor on top. Tip: As parsnip can taste a bit bland, don’t skip the seasoning step!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients list for the creamy carrot parsnip soup
- 3 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- A few sprigs of parsley
- A teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 pints (1 liter) of water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Peel the carrots and parsnips, cut them into regular cubes.
2. Put everything in a large pot with chopped parsley (keep a few sprigs for decoration). Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Then add 2 pints of water.
3. Cook for 30 minutes, covered, over fairly high heat. Once cooking is finished, mix all with your hand mixer. Add water to make the soup more liquid if necessary.
4. Serve into individual bowls an top with remaining parsley.