Is your mom obsessed with chocolate? Then this fudgy, moist chocolate-cake is just what you need to make her happy! Get in the kitchen and whip up this scrumptious treat for Mother’s Day. It is quite simple to make but the turnout is sure to amaze her.
Ingredients list for the chocolate cake
Makes 2 cakes:
- 1 1/2 cups (350g) butter, softened
- 3 cups (570g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups (280g) flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- 2 cups (260g) icing sugar + for decoration
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) evaporated milk
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract for five minutes. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
2. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder and add alternately with buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Beat until completely blended.
3. Pour into 2 greased and floured round pans. Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 45 to 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick, if it comes out clean the cake is done. Allow to cool, then carefully slice the cake in half horizontally using a long serrated knife.
4. The frosting: Combine powdered sugar and cocoa in medium mixing bowl. Add butter and evaporated milk and mix well. Spread over the first layer of cake, then cover with the second cake layer. Finish frosting the whole cake with a spatula. To make the heart decor, just make a heart cut-out and sprinkle the cake with icing sugar.