Eggs, Chickpea, Potato and spinach Soup – a simple recipe that’s so great on a nasty, cold rainy night! Loaded with vegetables, chickpeas, potatoes, eggs, and spinach this soup is a complete meal, but if the family insists, you could add some corn tortillas for dipping!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Ingredients list for the Chickpea Potato spinach Soup
Serving size: 2 cups
- 4½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger, minced
- 5 – 6 small new potatoes, cut into quarters
- Salt and fresh cracked white pepper
- 2 15 oz cans (2 x 425g) organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 heaping cups fresh spinach, trimmed and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic until slightly browned. Add tomato paste and stir continuously for a couple of minutes. Add diced potatoes, ginger, salt and pepper and stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the broth, stir well and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
3. 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the chickpeas and spinach. Cut the hard-boiled eggs in quarters and add to the pot. Simmer an additional 10 minutes, covered. Adjust seasoning if necessary. We added some chili powder for a little spicy kick at the end.