A great gluten free, low carb comfort food dinner! Spaghetti squash is stuffed with a creamy, cheesy, chicken and dried tomato filling. It’s next-level delicious and perfect if you don’t like doing the dishes!
Ingredients lists for the chicken stuffed spaghetti squash
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jar (3-4 oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained, chopped and 2 tablespoons oil reserved
- 1 lb (450g) chicken tenders (or chicken breasts cut in strips)
- 1 cup (250ml) half and half
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
The spaghetti squash
- 1 (2-3 pounds / 1-1.5kg) spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Cut the squash in half lengthwise from stem to tail and scrape out the seeds and gunk. Drizzle spaghetti squash halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place squash, cut-side down, onto the prepared baking dish and roast until tender, about 35-45 minutes.
2. In the meantime, in a large skillet, over high heat, saute garlic and chopped sun-dried tomatoes in 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant. Remove from the pan, keeping the oil, and cook chicken tenders on high for 1 minute on each side, sprinkled with salt and red chili pepper flakes.
3. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes back to the skillet with chicken. Add half and half and cheese and bring to a simmer until cheese melts. Adjust thickness of the sauce with chicken broth, then add 1 tablespoon of chopped basil, and a good sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Stir well to combine.
4. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes more and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
5. Remove the spaghetti squash halves from the oven and allow to rest until cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape the flesh crosswise to make long spaghetti strands. Top the spaghetti squash halves with the chicken and its sauce. Enjoy! ♡
Note: If you want to cut down cooking time in the oven, place the spaghetti squash halves in a plate with a tablespoon water and microwave for 5-7 minutes.