Who can turn down a nourishing dinner that pairs both chicken AND bacon? Chicken breasts seasoned with Italian spices get seared tender and drenched is a cheesy tomato spinach sauce with a savory note of crisp bacon bits on top! Quick and easy weeknight delight!
Ingredients list for the Chicken in Mozzarella Cream Sauce
Yield 3 servings:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound (450g) chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (thyme, oregano, basil – combined)
- 4 strips of bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (240ml) half and half (half cream mixed with half milk, for a lighter cream)
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Salt and pepper
1. Season chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet or pot over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and sear both sides until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side, set aside in a plate.
3. Melt the remaining tablespoon butter in the same pan. Add garlic, paprika, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato and chicken broth and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. In the mean time, cook bacon in a separate pan until crispy. Drain excess fat and cut into small bits, set aside.
5. In the main skillet, stir in and half and half, mozzarella, spinach and crushed chili pepper flakes. Reduce heat to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is melted.
6. Add bacon bits to the sauce and give a quick stir. Add chicken back to the skillet and simmer in the sauce for 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over rice, pasta or veggie noodles with additional red pepper flakes, enjoy!