Not as difficult as it may seem, this delicious rack of lamb is impressive, dinner party food. With a golden cheese crust revealing a flavorful tender meat, your guests will be impressed with this elegant feast. Jerusalem artichokes and young potatoes are just roasted with a sprinkle of coarse salt, fresh thyme and olive oil.
Ingredient list for the cheddar crusted lamb rack
- 1 lamb rack
- 3 1/2 (100g) cheddar
- Fresh thyme
- 1 1/3 lb (600g) small potatoes
- 1 lb (400g) Jerusalem artichokes
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Balsamic Vinegar
1. Preheat your oven to 410°F (210°C).
2. Wash potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes, pat dry. Arrange in a baking dish covered with a thin layer of coarse salt. Arrange sprigs of fresh thyme, sprinkle with olive oil and bake about 30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
3. Place the lamb rack in another baking dish. In a bowl, mix the grated cheddar and egg yolk, add 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, and a little freshly ground pepper. Do not add salt because cheddar is already a bit salty.
4. Spread the cheddar mixture over the lamb rack.
5. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the piece of meat. Cover the dish with an aluminum foil and let rest for 4/5 minutes before carving.
6. Serve with arugula salad seasoned with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil, and the roasted potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes.
Tip: don’t cut individual cutlets, serve it as portions of the rack. This way you’ll ensure the dish will make it to the table without the crust sliding off.
(Image by Anne Des Plancke)