Hit up the Korean market and try this crisp, fresh, and delicate salad. You may just be craving daikon-radish all the time! The red pepper powder spices up the daikon-radish, while the fresh ginger, carrots, and honey sesame oil are there to make you (and your guests!) go back for seconds. The salad can keep in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Ingredients list for the carrot and daikon salad
Serves 4 to 6:
- 1 pound (450g) daikon radish (large white Korean radish)
- 1/2 pound (225g) carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon Korean red pepper powder
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Peel the radish and carrots and cut into really thin strips. We used a handy julienne peeler for this; a spiralizer will also do the trick.
2. Place radish and carrot in a medium bowl. Combine ingredients to make the vinaigrette (sesame oil, white vinegar, honey, salt and ginger) and sprinkle the salad with it. Sprinkle with red pepper powder and scallion, toss to combine. Adjust seasoning if needed.
3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.