Onions lend sweet flavor and substance to this new spin on the typical eggs and toast! Make these the night before and heat up for a quick breakfast, or serve with salad for a decadent brunch all the family will love.
Ingredients list for the caramelized onion egg boats
- 2 bâtard loaf or 4 demi French baguettes
- 2 large onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or crème fraîche)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F(200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cook onion with olive oil in a skillet oven low-medium heat, until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, using a serrated knife, carve each bread loaf. Remove the loose bread tops, and scoop out a bit of the inside. You can keep the to make croutons or homemade breadcrumbs. Place the boats on the baking sheet.
4. Evenly distribute the caramelized onion between the cavities of the boats.
5. Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and chives in a medium-sized bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the boats. Sprinkle generously with shredded cheese.
6. Brush the bread with olive oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Let the boats cool for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional chives and serve warm. You can slice into pieces for smaller portions.