Want a comforting dessert for when you are feeling under the weather? Pair this baked caramel rice pudding with a steamy mug of tea and you are sure to start feeling better!
Ingredients list for the rice pudding
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 drops of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar + 1 tablespoon water for the caramel (double quantities if you need)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine coconut milk, rice, cinnamon and vanilla extract into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat sugar and water in a saucepan to make the caramel. Allow to cook over medium heat until slightly golden and fragrant (don’t overcook). Butter 5 small ramekins, then pour the caramel in the bottom of each ramekin. (optional: you can keep some caramel to pour on top of the rice pudding before baking).
3. Whisk granulated sugar, salt, and egg yolks in a bowl. Pour into the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Return to heat and bring to a simmer. Divide among ramekins arranged in a roasting pan, on top of the caramel; add boiling water halfway up sides. (Optional: You can add a bit of reserved caramel on top).
4. Bake until almost set, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Un-mold the rice puddings and transfer to individual bowls or dessert plates, drizzle with the caramel. Yum!