This lovely dessert will make an unusual, yet highly appreciated appearance on your table for the holidays. After a brief sizzling and roasted in the oven, caramelized acorn squash flesh turns out sweet and delicate and is rounded out by the crunch of slivered almonds. This budget-friendly recipe is so simple, and beside the squash it uses only pantry ingredients !
Ingredients list for the Caramelized Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat your oven to 360ºF (180°C). In a small bowl, combine honey and oil by whisking with a fork.
2. If the skin of the acorn squash is thick, you can peel it. Cut the squash in half, remove seeds and divide into thin wedges. Arrange in a deep skillet, drizzle with the mix of honey and oil.
3. Cook over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until honey is bubbly. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Remove from the stove and transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (keep an eye on it). Remove from oven and divide into serving plates, sprinkle with slivered almonds.
Note: You can serve this delicious dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice.