Caramel, nuts and dried raisins tartlets — That’s all we like for a typical Fall afternoon to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee. These delectable little bites of caramel goodness turn out perfectly, like probably the best tartlets you’ve ever made. To top off the mini-tarts is a creamy caramel sauce containing a rich mix of walnuts, hazelnuts and raisins.
Ingredients list for the caramel, nuts and raisins mini tarts
For 4 tartlets:
Sweet shortcrust pastry:
- 1 1/3 cups (130g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 oz (70g) softened butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1 egg yolk
For the garnish
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (15cl) cream
- a knob of (20g) butter
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 2 oz (60g) of nuts
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) raisins
1. Start by making the caramel, following this recipe. Once the caramel is done, allow to cool.
2. Then move on to make the sweet pastry shells. Sift the flour and sugar in a bowl, add diced butter, and start mixing everything so as to obtain a sandy consistency.
3. Add the egg yolk and mix until you get a smooth ball of dough.
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, flatten, and line the bottom of 4 tartlets pans.
5. Blind bake the tart shells for 12 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
6. Once the caramel as cooled dawn a bit, stir the mix of nuts and raisins in and well so coat completely.
7. Remove the tart shells from the oven and spread the caramel mixture on top of each.
Wait half an hour, so the tartlets come back at room temperature, serve with a tall glass of milk or cup of coffee. Enjoy!
(Photo by Sens and Flavour)