Here is a great way to turn a ripe cantaloupe into a light and refreshing summer salad. We’ll accompany the melon with a ginger flavored syrup and crunchy caramelized ginger bits. This summer salad is simply wonderful while cantaloupes are in full swing. It is even better after refrigerating overnight.
Ingredients list for the cantaloupe salad
- 1 ripe cantaloupe
- 7 tbsp (80g) caster sugar + 1 teaspoon
- 10 ounces of water
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- A bit of neutral oil: sunflower, corn
For the ginger syrup:
1. Boil water with sugar and grated ginger.
2. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, and then filter the syrup to collect ginger. Let the syrup cool.
For the caramelized ginger:
1. Lightly oil a nonstick skillet.
2. Brown the grated ginger you have collected from the syrup with a teaspoon of sugar. Let caramelizer over low heat, stirring regularly. As soon as the color starts to brown, pour the ginger caramel over a baking sheet and spread with a wooden spoon. It will harden and you’ll be able to crush it for the topping o the salad.
And … it’s almost over!
Cut the cantaloupe in half, scoop out the seeds, discard skin and then cut flesh into slices and then into strips and small cubes. Mix the diced melon with syrup and fill glasses. Let cool before serving and sprinkle with bits of caramelized ginger. Enjoy!