Braised chicken is as simple as it can get. Whatever the number of ingredients, this kind of dish is perfect for those who don’t like fussy recipes with lots of steps involved. The meat is slowly cooked in a little bit of liquid and it becomes incredibly tender and full of flavor. Plus, braised chicken is elegant enough for entertaining and easy enough for a simple weeknight dinner. This braise takes about 40 minutes, but it taste so good: The chicken just oozes its goodness into the sauce and the sauce evolves into something epic with the addition of almonds and caramelized onions.
Ingredients list for spicy chicken with caramelized onions
- 1 chicken of 3lbs (1.5kg), or the equivalent with chicken thighs
- 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 4 1/2 oz (125g) blanched almonds
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Some saffron
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Cut the chicken and prepare the marinade. Put chopped parsley, saffron, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Marinate the pieces of chicken for about 1 hour.
2. Fry the chicken pieces in a mix of butter and olive oil, in a large chef pan or a dutch oven, browning all sides. Add ginger, and cover with a glass of water. Stir everything with a wooden spatula, add cinnamon sticks, put the lid on and cook over low heat for about 40 minutes. Ten minutes before the end of cooking, add the blanched almonds.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the onions: chop, put in a pan and fry in a little butter. Then add the raisins, ground cinnamon and sugar. Cook until the onions caramelize.
4. Check the doneness of chicken, if necessary, add a little water.
5. Before the end of cooking, pour the caramelized onions over the chicken pieces and simmer for ten minutes more. Serve hot with brown rice, white rice, or pasta. Foccacia or any other bread would be the best because you’ll want to sop up all that wonderful sauce!