Blood oranges are awesome in this gorgeous pound cake. An intense orange flavor comes from three doses of orange – in the cake itself, the soaking marmalade and the candied orange slices on top. This dessert is even better the next day!
Ingredients list for the blood orange pound cake
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks – 430g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (480g) granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- Grated orange zest (6 oranges)
- 3 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
For the blood orange marmalade
- The supremes of 4 blood oranges (supremes are orange segments peeled to the flesh, without any membrane and pith left), keep some for the topping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
For the garnish
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- Confectioner sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a round 8-inch (22cm) cake pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda until well combined. Set aside.
3. Beat together the butter, sugar and blood orange zest until light and fluffy (count 2-3 minutes with a stand mixer). Beat in the eggs, one at a time until blended.
4. Mix in one third of the flour mixture until combined. Mix in the buttermilk and blood orange juice until combined. Then add the remaining flour until just combined, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden and the tip of a knife comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes on a wire rack.
6. Gently remove the pound cake from the pan. Allow to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, make the orange marmalade. Whisk together blood orange supremes, water and sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium fire until thick (20-30 minutes).
8. Dust the orange slices with confectioner sugar and set aside.
9. Spread the jam over the pound cake, arrange orange slices, supremes and zest on top and top with additional marmalade. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.