A versatile dip, spread or topping, olive tapenade is hardly something you need a recipe for. This strong, delicious olive based spread is made in an cinch, and the ingredients are so simple that you’ll be surprised by the complexity of this seemingly simple flavor combination. The application are infinite: smear it on sandwiches and pizza, stir into pasta, or dollop onto pots of steamed seafood. I like using black kalamata olives to make it but any flavorful black olive will do the trick.
Ingredient list for the olive tapenade
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) pitted black olives (Kalamata are best)
- 2 dried tomatoes in oil (well drained)
- A large teaspoon of capers
- 2 cloves garlic (germ-free)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Mix everything — except olive oil — in a food processor or blender. Don’t pulse too much, it’s alway good to have olive chunks remaining.
2. Transfer in a bowl and add olive oil. Mix with a fork, it’s ready. You can store tapenade in sterilized glass jars in your refrigerator for
Serve with slices of fresh or toasted bread as appetizer or to accompany a soup.
- Use fresh, good quality olives.
- You can add few drops of balsamic vinegar or 1-2 anchovy fillets.
Various uses for the olive tapenade:
Beyond crackers and dips, here are few other uses for this delicious condiment:
- Grill steaks or fish and spread a spoonful over the top.
- Swirl tapenade into a simple soup.
- Rub tapenade under the skin of a roast chicken. Catch the drippings with roasted potatoes placed into the same roasting pan