Among the most comforting of comfort food, veal chops are easy to prepare and quick to cook. Their versatile nature allows them to be paired with a wonderful range of flavors, perfect for any occasion, from cozy weeknight dinner to casual summer gatherings. This easy recipe is directly inspired by bistro and brasserie style kitchen; a large thick veal chop is browned with shallots, onion and roasted alongside a bed of button mushrooms and fragrant herbs. The result is a tender meat with intensely flavorful condiments; to serve with small new potatoes and garlic butter.
Ingredients list for the Bistro Veal Chops with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 beautiful veal rib chop — about 1 1/3 pound (600g)
- 2 handfuls of fresh button mushrooms
- 2 shallots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 veal bouillon cube
- 2/3 cup (150ml) water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (20g) unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Peel and chop the shallots and onion.
2. Melt the butter in a skillet and sauté the shallots and onion.
3. Meanwhile, season the veal chop with salt and pepper, then brown the pan with onion and shallots.
4. Wash and peel the button mushrooms.
5. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
6. Transfer the veal, shallots and onion in a sturdy roasting pan, add the mushrooms. Dissolve the bouillon cube in water and pour into the dish. Add thyme, olive oil and roast in a hot oven for 35 minutes.
(Photography by Chataigne)