I know we’re still in summer but nothing prevents you to gather some inspiration for future chilly evenings because this beef stew is a very comforting dish! Don’t overlook carrots, because they play a big role by melting perfectly with beef meat.
Ingredients list: beef and red wine stew
Serves 6 – 8 :
- 2 1/2 lbs (1,2 kg) of beef (chuck or round cuts)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 peppercorns
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 bottle red wine (I used slightly sweet wine)
1. Cut meat into regular cubes.
2. Heat oil in a medium sized casserole. Sauté the meat over high heat letting stick a bit on each side to caramelize (do not turn the meat too much). I encourage you to use cast iron cookware because this material allows to heat the food evenly, which is crucial when cooking a low temperature. Check out our resource article about cast iron cookware for more informations.
3. Once the meat is browned, sprinkle with flour, stir and add bay leaves and peppercorns.
4. Then add carrots and celery, peeled and cut into large chunks. Sauté a few minutes.
5. Now add the wine to cover meat on the 3/4 then add washed and diced tomatoes.
6. Cover, leaving still a little opening to let steam out, and simmer (over low heat) for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve hot with potatoes or buttered noodles. Enjoy!
You might be interested by: How to Make Homemade Yogurt