This beef ragu and pasta recipe has a ton of flavor with only a few pantry ingredients. Using ground meat allows the beef ragû sauce to cook quickly, perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner.
Ingredients list for the beef ragû with spaghetti
- 1/2 pound (220g) ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1/2 pound (450g) spaghetti or fettucine
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Grated cheese, for topping
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain and return to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft. Count 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add ground beef to the skillet breaking up with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook until slightly darkened for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juice and simmer until the liquid is slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Finally, add the sauce to the spaghetti and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with parsley and grated cheese.
Tips: You can add dry white wine or broth to the beef ragû sauce, just simmer a few minutes longer to thicken the sauce to the desired consistency. You can replace parsley with basil.