Cilantro Salt Crusted Salmon — The Simplest, the most flavorful fish you will ever make. Depending on the thickness of fish and your oven, this crusted salmon with punchy flavors can come together in less than 15 minutes for a super elegant lunch or dinner! If you don’t have salmon available, you can adapt this recipe to other fish like sea bream, bass or pollock.
Ingredients list for the baked salmon in salt
- 1 pound salmon fillets (450g), with skin on
- 1 1/2 pound (750g) rock salt
- 1 sprig of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 egg whites
Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
- 1 shallot or 1/2 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C). Wash the salmon fillets then pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the rock salt, honey, eggs and cilantro, then evenly spread one-third of the salt over baking tray. Lay the salmon into the tray, then spoon over the remaining salt mixture, to cover the fish completely. Place the tray in the hot oven for around 15 minutes, or until cooked through. To test if the salmon is ready, push a skewer through the salt into the thickest part of the fish – if it comes out warm after 5 seconds, it’s done.
3. Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce. Put the shallot in a saucepan with vinegar and water. Reduce the mixture to 1/3 over high heat. Add the greek yogurt and chopped cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Then set aside in a bowl.
4. Once cooked, remove the salmon from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then break the salt crust with a knife being careful not to slice into the fish at this point. Discard the remaining salt, brushing away any excess from the top of the salmon. At this point your can serve the dish like this, or transfer the fish to a large platter, then score and peel back the skin. Serve with the yogurt sauce and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Note: Serve with boiled or steamed vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, or green beans.