Theses baked teriyaki chicken meatballs = pure happiness. A simple dish perfect as an appetizer with friends. Ground chicken mixed with garlic, scallions, and fresh ginger is formed into balls, then baked to a juicy finish. Serve with a Teriyaki sauce–sesame seeds will add crispy notes on top. ♥︎
Ingredients list for the Baked Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb (450g) ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon sriracha
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in ½ tablespoon water
1. Preheat your oven to 450ºF (240ºC) and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, ground chicken, scallions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, pepper, honey and egg to the bowl. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until combined.
3. Shape the meat mixture into balls, you can also do this with an ice cream scoop. Place shaped meatballs on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 -20 minutes, until cooked through.
4. In the meantime, prepare the Teriyaki sauce by combining the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, Sriracha, brown sugar, honey, garlic and ginger into a sauce pan. Turn on medium heat, and stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and whisk until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
5. Remove the meatballs from the oven and drizzle them with the Teriyaki sauce, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallion. Add some picks and enjoy! ♥︎
Note: You can still use store bought Teriyaki sauce if you’re short on time (or a bit lazy ;-) ).