This hearty Blueberry Baked Oatmeal is the perfect satisfying breakfast for a busy morning. Sweet, crunchy and juicy, it comes together quickly and you can easily make a big pan to feed a crowd or to reheat during the week!
Ingredients list for the baked blueberry oatmeal
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (400ml) milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 12 ounces (350g) fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar, for topping (optional)
Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with blueberries. You can also use frozen blueberries, but make sure to defrost them beforehand ortherwise they can end up rendering too much water.
Cover the berries with the oat mixture, then pour the milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the dish to make sure the milk soaks up through the oats. Sprinkle the remaining berries on top. Sprinkle sugar for extra crunch if you want.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 9×5-inch baking dish. When oven is ready, dry roast almonds, scattered on a baking sheet for 4 to 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, toasted almond, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl, combine milk, honey, egg, and melted butter (reheat butter 30 seconds in the microwave if needed). Whisk until completely blended.
4. Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the blueberries (keep about 1/2 cup of the blueberries for the topping). Cover the berries with the oat mixture, then pour the milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the baking dish to make sure the milk moves down through the oats. Make sure all the oat is soaked. Sprinkle the remaining berries on top. Sprinkle sugar for extra crunch if you want.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is crisp and golden. Remove your blueberry baked oatmeal from the oven and allow to cool down. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.