Perfect for a spring party or a Sunday brunch, these pretty asparagus and smoked salmon toasts make for an easy appetizer everyone will keep coming back to over and over again.
Ingredients list for the asparagus tartines
- 10 spears of fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 cup plain cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 large package of smoked salmon
- Slices of country bread
- Freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 coffeespoon honey
1. Fill a large saucepan with water, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cream cheese and chopped chive, then set aside for later. Prepare the marinade by combining olive oil with honey and cracked black pepper.
3. Cook the asparagus in the boiling water for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl filled with ice-cold water. Wait for one minute then drain the asparagus and set to marinate for 10 minutes.
4. In the mean time, toast the bread slices briefly and rub with olive oil on both sides. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on each one. Next, lay a piece of smoked salmon then top with marinated asparagus. Sprinkle with lemon zest and black pepper and serve immediately.
Note: Be careful of is to not overcook the asparagus, or it will lose its fresh green flavor