If you are like me and have had the bad luck of coming home with ripe apricots that couldn’t stand the travel and became softened, you can always prepare a good apricot sauce to save the day. This recipe is very easy to follow and allows you to recycle ripe fruit for a quick dessert. Spices and almonds enhance the tart flavor of apricots. Cooking time depends on the ripeness of the fruit you have, but always keep an eye on what’s cooking so as not to let it burn.
Ingredients list for the Sweet and Spicy Apricots Sauce recipe
- 1 1/3 lbs (600 g) apricots
- 1 1/2 ounces (40 g) butter
- 1 3/4 ounces (50 g) of brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Blue poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1. Wash the apricots and remove the kernels.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, and then add the apricots. Sauté for a few minutes and add the sugar and spices. Cook over a medium heat for at least 30 minutes, covered with a lid.
3. Add the almonds and poppy seeds at the end of cooking. Mix gently and fill the ramekins.
Serve either warm or cold.
(Photo Marie Verveine Peach)