This easy apple layer cake is incredibly moist, with a scrumptious layer of apple sauce, and packed full of cinnamon flavor. Top it off with a rich salted butter caramel sauce for a decadent treat everyone will love.
Ingredients list for the apple layer cake
- 2 sticks (225g) butter
- 1 cup (225g) granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 3 apples
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (30g) sugar
Salted butter caramel (recipe here)
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Then add flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Continue mix for a few minutes until smooth and combined.
3. Grease and flour two molds 8 or 9-inch diameter and pour the batter equally.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes (the blade of a knife should come out clean). Then remove from oven, turn upside down and cool on a wire rack.
1. Prepare the apples while the cake is baking. Peel them and cut them into small pieces.
2. Cook slightly in a saucepan with butter and sugar for a few minutes.
3. Puree half the cooked apples in a blender and set aside.
Then prepare the salted butter caramel: recipe here.
1. Cut the hat the cakes to make them flat. Place a cake on a plate, cover with apple sauce and add a few pieces of cooked apple.
2. Place the second cake on top, dust with castor sugar (optional) and decorate with pieces of cooked apple. Pour the salted butter caramel sauce.