Ingredients list for the salad
- 2 celery stalk
- A bunch of radish
- Green salad (lettuce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients list for the anchovy sauce
- 7 ounces (200g) of salted anchovies (or canned in oil)
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup (25cl) of olive oil
Anchovy sauce cooking instructions
1. Rinse the anchovies under running water.
2. Remove the central ridge and chop as finely as possible with a knife.
3. Chop again and press the anchovies. Add vinegar and pepper. You can use a blender is you want.
4. Melt the mixture during one minute at maximum power in the microwave. This is to good for anchovies to melt and makes the mixture creamier.
5. Let cool then mount the anchovy sauce gradually adding olive oil like a mayonnaise. You should get a very thick sauce.
6. Dilute the sauce with 2 more tablespoons of olive oil.
Making of the salad:
1. Wash vegetables and the salad, divide the lettuce leaves in 4.
2. Cut the radish into thin slices.
3. Cut and dice the celery stalks.
4. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
5. Pour the anchovy sauce over the salad, toss and serve.
- You can also serve the anchovy paste as an appetizer with crunchy vegetables cut into sticks (carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers) and radishes. In this,case, there is no need to add the 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You can also use it to spread on slices of bread, or lightly toasted focaccia.
(Image Dominique Sauvages)
Read also: roasted chicken with Porto sauce