Brighten up any cold fall or winter’s day! Apples, raisins, almonds, spices… The aroma of these stuffed baked apples definitely speak the language of Autumn and melt the cool right out of you. Tasty for breakfast, snack or dessert, you can also serve these tender apples as a side dish alongside roasted turkey or pork: They will make a delicious pairing with their stuffing with hint of lemon, orange, clove and bay.
Cooking time: 35 to 40 minutes
Ingredients list for Stuffed Baked Apples
- 4 large baking apples
- 1 1/2 oz (40g) soft butter
- 6 tsbp (70g) muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup (50g) flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) raisins
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoonful of 4 spices mix
- 3 tbsp rum
1. Remove the butter from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before starting to allow it to soften a bit.
2. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C – gas mark 6 ). Wash apples. Then trim the top off and scoop out the core and seeds with an apple corer, being mindful to keep as much flesh as possible. Place apples in a baking dish.
3. Flake dried bay leaves into small pieces. Place in a mortar and crush with cloves.
4. Pour into a bowl with almost all almonds, zest and orange and lemon juice and the remaining ingredients.
5. Mix everything by hand, incorporating all the flavors in butter.
6. Stuff each apple with this mixture and rub the outside of each fruit with the rest of the preparation.
7. Pour the remaining stuffing in a bowl and combine with remaining juice, then pour over apples almonds.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until apples are tender and golden. Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes before serving. Place each apple on a plate and pour the caramelized juices over.