Today I propose the almond brittle recipe. It’s a bit technical because it requires a bit of special knowledge about cooking sugar. Brittle is made from sugar and glucose cooked until caramelized and almonds. You can replace slivered almonds with chopped almonds.
How to make Almond Brittle
Ingredients list for Almond Brittle
- 1 cup (200g) of sugar
- 1/3 cup (80mL) of water
- 2 ounces (60g) of glucose
- 3 ounces (90g) of chopped or slivered almonds
1. In a Russian (saucepan), get water and sugar together. You can also use a sugar pan. It’s a copper “pot”, not tinned, with a spout (see example here).
2. Put the sugar to cook on medium heat ensuring the flames don’t “lick” the external walls of the pan (there could be an early coloring and sugar could pre-cook).
If there is sugar projections on the inner walls of the pan during cooking, dip a brush in cold water, drain slightly and slide in the bottom of the container. This can be done with the fingers also soaked in cold water, but it takes a little experience and not being afraid of getting burned.
Caution, to prevent sugar from crystallizing when hot:
- Ensure the cleanliness of the pan, wash it before use as a precaution.
- Also make sure that the sugar does not contain impurities.
- And finally, avoid stirring the syrup for cooking.
3. When sugar is completely melted, add glucose.
4. While cooking sugar, preheat oven to 300°F (150°c) and place a baking sheet or a tray inside.
5. Clean the walls of the cooking vessel as often as necessary.
6. When sugar reaches a temperature of 340/350°F (170/175°c), remove from heat.
7. Add almonds and mix.
Put the cooking pot on low heat if necessary.
Here I use a silicone spatula, I find this practical, especially if you don’t have a polycarbonate spatula at home.
8. Remove the baking sheet and place over a silicone mat. Begin to spread the brittle.
9. Cover the brittle with another silicone mat and lower with a rolling pin.
10. Slide Brittle on a board and cut depending on future use.
You can return the brittle to oven to soften and cut it easier way.
Use metal rings or squares to cut geometric shapes. Place the cutting in the oven a few minutes before.
To press the cutter ring without hurting my hands I use another wooden board.
Note: Otherwise there are special cutting shapes for brittle, but it is not cheap!
You can mix and match nut and seeds ingredients as you like — sesame seeds with five-spice powder and macadamia nuts with coconut are good, for example — but it’s better to keep it simple.
- Any other nuts like peanuts (it’s a classic, of course), walnuts, pecans, macadamia, cashews, or even pistachios.
- 1 cup of any kind of seeds: white and/or black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds…
- Shredded coconut is also a good option.
- 2 cups chopped dried fruit: raisins, dates, cherries, pineapple, or apricots.
- 1 to 2 tsp ground or crushed spices: cinnamon, five-spice, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, or black or pink sechuan peppercorns.
Read also: Spicy Oven Baked Potatoes Recipe